Friday, 7 November 2014

1989 ~ Album Review

Hey Guys!

So on the 27th of October Taylor Swift released her fifth album 1989, which was the year she was born. If you follow me on my twitter or instagram you will of probably noticed how excited I was getting before the release and then how excited I was to actually own the album.

I got 1989 D.L.X which had 3 extra tracks as well as 3 voice memos about how Taylor goes about writing songs. You can get this version as the Deluxe version worldwide and at Target I believe in the US.

So back to the album...


1.) Welcome To New York

This song was released a week before the album as like an extra for pre-ordering the album. The song is about Taylor's recent move to New York over the past year and it just has such a feel good feel to it and I find it so catchy! I'm constantly humming to it hahaha.

My favourite lyrics are definitely - "Like any great love/ It keeps you guessing/ Like any real love/ It’s ever changing/ Like any true love/ It drives you crazy"

2.) Blank Space

This is possibly one of my absolutely favourite songs on the album. It is just all round incredible. I rave about how Taylor is such a lyrical genius and this song definitely shows that! There is also a voice memo of how she came about this song that is on the deluxe version and it honestly cracks me up!

Favourite Lyrics - "I could make the bad guys good for a weekend"

3.) Style

This obviously has something to do with Harry Styles and I'm putting it out there because we always try and guess who the song is about and well seeing as it's called Style... This song is again one of my favourites it's the catchy-ness of the chorus I think. Also this song is the song that I love to get ready to in the morning because it has that feel good feel again.

Favourite Lyrics - "He says, what you've heard it's true but I/Can't stop thinking about you and I/I said I've been there too a few times"

4.) Out Of The Woods

Again this is a track that was released early and Taylor has also said that this is one of her favourite songs on the track. This album as a whole went through a completely different change compared to her previous albums but I think you notice it pretty well in this song. There is a dark undertone to it and you can certainly hear how Taylor is feeling.

Favourite Lyrics - "The rest of the world was black and white/But we were in screaming colour"

5.) All You Had To Do Was Stay

Track number 5 is always notorious for the song that hits you right in the feels... If I'm honest I personally don't think this is what I would of put as track number 5 if it was me. On the other hand though this song is amazing! It's about how the guy wants you back when really all he had to do was stay...

Favourite Lyrics - "Why'd you have to go and lock me out when I let you in"

6.) Shake It Off

The first song that we heard from the 1989 era and it is definitely one of my favourites. This song is my go to feel good song because of the happy feel it has because of the upbeat music and just the lyrics in general make me laugh because Taylor is basically just taking the piss of herself.

Favourite Lyrics - "I go on too many dates/But I can't make them stay/At least that's what people say"

7.) I Wish You Would

This song isn't really one of my favourites... It certainly doesn't exactly stand out on the album. It might be completely different for you that's just how I feel and I have no clue why. This song is another one that has the voice memo of how it came about on the deluxe edition and it's so interesting all the different ways Taylor comes up with songs. This one was actually just the track first and then the lyrics were added.

Favourite Lyrics  - "Wish I'd never hung up the phone like I did, and I/I wish you'd know that I never forget you as long as I live"

8.) Bad Blood

This is definitely a typical Taylor Swift song where she bashes the person it's about. The only difference is that it's about a friend instead of a boyfriend. It has a dead catchy rhythm to it that reminds me of the type that Lorde would use so you see that she has influenced her!

Favourite Lyrics - "Still got scars on my back from your knife"

9.) Wildest Dreams

Now this song is what I would of personally put as track number 5 because I usually cry to it and well I cried to this one. I love the lyrics and it's definitely one you can relate to while going through a break up! I just think it's so beautiful and that's about it really...

Favourite Lyrics - "He's so tall, and handsome as hell/He's so bad but he does it so well"

10.) How You Get The Girl

How You Get The Girl is such a contrast to the slow melody of Wildest Dreams instead this is your typical pop song and it's one I love to jump around and sing to while getting ready in the morning! 

Favourite Lyrics - "Say it's been a long six months/And you were too afraid to tell her what you want/And that's how it works"

11.) This Love

This is such a cute song! I have no clue what else to say about it really... It is another one of the slower ones and is about how a love has returned to you even though you weren't exactly expecting it.

Favourite Lyrics - "When you're young you just run/But you come back to what you need"

12.) I Know Places

Personally I love all the metaphors that Taylor has put into this song especially the "they are the hunters, we are the foxes" obviously the hunters are the paparazzi and then the foxes are Taylor and whoever else the song is about. The song is about how difficult it is to have a relationship when your in the public. This song also has a voice memo on how it is made as well on the deluxe edition.

Favourite Lyrics - "Love's a fragile little flame, it could burn out"

13.) Clean

This is another personal favourite of mine. I think it's the way Taylor describes a relationship as an addiction and the personal struggles you go through trying to get over it are slightly similar. Again this song shows how much of a lyrical genius Taylor is! On another note this is another song that I relate to and seem to cry to every time I sit and properly listen to it.

Favourite Lyrics - "Rain came pouring down when I was drowning/That's when I could finally breathe"

So that's my personal opinion on Taylor's new album and I must say I'm a bit biased because I love her music but ah well. Let me know in the comments or through all of my social media what you think of 1989!

Catriona...

Follow my blog with Bloglovin