Thursday, 19 March 2015

John Green: Yay or Nay?

Hey Guys

I don't go anywhere without a book it's a fact. I feel really weird when I don't have a book with me (hopefully I'm not the only one!).

We all have authors that we love and we also have authors that we hate but in my opinion the most controversial author would be, John Green.

I have read a total of 3 books by John Green and they are - The Fault In Our Stars, Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson (co-written).


I have a very mixed opinion with John Green I have loved two of his books one being TFIOS which some people just don't get the hype about and I feel that this book have been blogged about an awful lot. With TFIOS you either love it or hate it. Personally, I really enjoyed it and did shed a few, okay tons, of tears... Then the movie came around and I cried a fair bit more.

The Fault In Our Stars was also my first John Green book so once I had finished it I went in search of the next great John Green book. I was recommended the book, Paper Towns, so of course I went out and bought it and honestly it was the worst decision I have ever made... I really didn't like it. I couldn't get into the story and I didn't feel like the characters had any depth to them. It took me about 9 months to actually finishing the book (I read about 15 other books inbetween that time) and if I'm honest it put me off John Green books altogether and I didn't go anywhere near them.

Paper Towns is now being made into a movie and even though I didn't like the book at all I will probably go and see the movie and see if that helps change my decision of the book. My friends who have read Paper Towns  really didn't understand why I didn't enjoy it but I guess we all have different tastes.

I took a break from all kinds of John Green books until February where I picked up Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Which is also written by an author that I love called David Levithan. I will admit I was skeptic when I saw John Green's name but I decided to give it a try anyway.

If I'm honest I'm so glad that I did because I loved it! Will Grayson, Will Grayson is honestly a book like no other and has such a good storyline! Compared to Paper Towns, Will Grayson Will Grayson's characters were so intriguing and you couldn't wait to find out what happened to them! Also I read this book in less than a week which is quite a big different to the 9 months with Paper Towns!

Personally I still haven't decided if I love him or hate him yet. Think I have to read at least one other of his books before I make a final decision! I think it will be  Look For Alaska but I'm not sure yet!

So that's my opinion on the author John Green! What's yours? Do you love him or hate him?

Let me know in the comments below! :D