Wednesday, 3 June 2015

I Went To Skerryvore Decade!

Last Saturday (30th May) I travelled up to Oban in Scotland for one of the biggest Scottish Traditional Music events of the year!

I went to Skerryvore Decade! I was one of 6,000 people who were there and it was such an incredible day/night!

If you aren't up to date with the Scottish traditional music scene which I'm guessing you aren't then you wouldn't know that one of the biggest bands on the scene were throwing a big celebration because they were turning 10 years old.

That band is called Skerryvore. Hence, the events name being Skerryvore Decade. As well as Skerryvore playing they also got their friends and supporters to come and play as well and it really turned out to be a great lineup!


So who was playing? You may ask well there was Skipinnish, Trail West, Red Hot Chilli Pipers, Sharon Shannon, Dougie McLean and Scott Wood Band.

Skerryvore Decade started at 3pm so I have to leave my house at 10:30 to make sure I reached Oban in time!

I had seen all of the acts play before but it had been a while since I had seen the Red Hot Chilli Pipers and man they were so good! They opened up the day and ugh I just have so many feels! They played everything including their cover of Avicii's Wake Me Up which definitely got the party started!

Next up was Trail West a personal favourite of mine. I have been to a few ceilidhs with them as well as concerts and I love how they can pull off both! Of course they played the absolute tune that was The Island Boy and even though I wasn't right at the front of the stage to see it I definitely thoroughly enjoyed it!


Dougie MacLean aka the man who wrote Caledonia was on after Trail West. He slowed the tempo down a bit but he played just himself and his guitar and man was it brilliant! It also gave me the perfect chance to grab some food before I got the alcohol in me and what was absolutely perfect was that they were selling haggis, neeps and tatties!!!

From 17.50 - 18.30 was Scott Wood Band who I hadn't seen live since they were called Scott Wood Trio when it was just the pipes, guitar and fiddle. I loved the new additions to the group and it was like seeing a completely different band but something exactly like the old which doesn't make sense but that is how I would explain it.

Probably one of the biggest performers there was Sharon Shannon who was magnificent! I saw her live for the first time last year at Tiree and this time she was even better! It was just her and this man with kind of long hair (can't remember his name) and it made for a really great set. Of course she played one of her most favourite song called Galway Girl which went down a treat.

Skipinnish were next who have been my favourite out of the lot of them for a while now. They opened with Land Below The Waves and closed with Walking On The Waves and played all of their other absolute tunes in between. I really do adore seeing Skipinnish live their albums really don't do them justice!


Finally it was time for the band that we had all been waiting for. The band who we had all travelled to see and that was Skerryvore. They played every single hit of theirs and ugh I am so beyond words onto how good they were live. They exceeded themselves even more than usual because they are great live but they were even better on that Saturday night!

I had the best night I have had in ages and it has definitely got me in the mood for Tiree Music Festival which is happening in just over a month! I would also like to give a shoutout to the boy who kept putting me on your shoulders you made the concert even better for me so thank you!

Have you ever listened to Scottish Tradition music before?

P.S - My photos aren't great because they were taken on my phone! I also didn't take that many I mean I didn't even get one of Skerryvore... I was just too busy enjoying the moment!