Thursday, 18 August 2016

All The Bright Places - Book Review

Hey Guys,

I'm back with another book review! I know it's been ages but I haven't fallen in love with a book like I have with this one in so long!

Not going to lie I put off reading All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven for so long as there was so much hype around how good it was and I didn't want to be disappointed but I'm so glad that I finally decided to read it this summer!

For those of you that I haven't read the book yet don't worry I plan to not put any spoilers in this post. It is just my thoughts and feelings surrounding the book.



All The Bright Places follows the story of two high school teenagers called Violet; the popular school girl that everyone likes, and Theodore; the boy that is different to everyone else and is branded a 'weirdo', otherwise known as Finch who meet at the top of their school's bell tower where they are both considering committing suicide for different reasons. The book follows their journey of a school project that they do together as well as how they both are dealing with very difficult subjects in life.

The book deals with some very sensitive subjects in what I think is a very realistic and relatable way. One being mental health, mostly severe depression which you can tell Finch suffers from. He is fascinated with suicide and throughout the book he talks about the different ways it can be done and even goes to a suicide support group for young people. Violet is trying to come to terms with the grief she feels for a family member after a tragedy that had happened previously and the two characters try to help each other pull through.

On a lighter note, All The Bright Places also deals with experiencing your first love and what it feels like to have a person by your side that understands you and wants better for you. Unbelievably cute things happen that will make you very jealous that they haven't to you so be warned!

In real life we usually all hate or very much dislike the town we call home and Violet and Finch are just the same. A main part of the story line if that they are set a school project together where they have to discover Indiana, the state that All The Bright Places is set in.  They travel all over and discover the little things in Indiana that aren't 'proper' tourist attractions but that make Indiana what it is and find the good in a place they aren't fond of. I love this part of the book. I must admit I'm not the fondest of my home town but now that I've moved away I can now see the beauty in where I come from which I never had before!

As always with my book reviews I like to share a few quotes that I made note of while I was reading it.

"The thing I realise is, that it's not what you take, it's what you leave."

I'm not sure why I like this quote but it just makes you think about what you have left on this world and if it has been worthwhile and if it will help someone.

Another I liked was,

"When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?"

I liked this as it is just a reminder that there are bigger things happening in the world and to not focus on all the bad.

This was Jennifer Niven's first YA book and I think she wrote it really well. Annoyingly yes, this book does live up to all of the hype surrounding it and I feel like everyone should read it at some point in their life as it will 100% affect you in some way, which I think is a sign of a good book that it makes you feel something and think about the world.

Have you read All The Bright Places? Let me know in the comments along with any other book recommendations of books you have for me! 

Catriona...